Thursday, August 2, 2007

Week 5

I had such a great time this week! Last time I was kind of joking when I said I yodeled, but this time I'm serious!

On Monday, the Austria TA was giving a city tour, but no one else signed up to go, so Jackie and I got our own private tour! We went into a small churches that were out of the main town and thnen, we climbed the strairs in the City Tower to look out. We went to the Red Beans and Rice night with the program, and then I took her to the 360 Bar, where we got a great view of Innsbruck!

Jackie and I at the top of 360 Bar

Tuesday, I had an amazing time! Jackie toured the city during the day, and then when I got out of class, we went up to the cable car. This took us to the top of the mountiain, and then we hiked up even farther to the tip top ridge of the mountain! It was INCREDIBLE with amazing views looking out towards Innsbruck and then behind the mountains! It's why I love Innsbruck! I could really tell how Innsbruck would not exist without the flatness due to the river. It was windy and cold but so worth it! We even saw sheep and cattle up at the top!

Us at the very top of the mountain! It was windy!

I was really excited! The mountains were the reason I came to Innsbruck!

View of Innsbruck

I wanted to prove that I was at the very top

The other side of the mountains- beautiful!

We heard a bell, and it was sheep coming up the hill! Oh I felt like Heidi!

That night, we went on a lantern hike. The city of Innsbruck gives free hikes multiple times a day! We hiked up to a mountain house and saw the main ski slope for the Olympics along the way! Then, we were in for a treat! One man played the guitar while the other played the accordion and everyone yodeled and sang! There were people there from Austria, Germany, Italy, Ireland, England, Scotland, Australia, and of couse America! The main man took a liking to Jackie and me, so we were asked to be the main yodelers! He took us downstairs and asked us to play along with him- we had to act like we knew the main song from Innsbruck and mouth the words and then when the time came for yodeling, we had to yodel at the top of our lungs! It was hilarious! But first, he insisted that we drink some "yodeling water" aka schnapps. Later, we danced the Austrian wedding dance and sang even more. Afterwards, we walked with our lanterns down the mountain! It was probably my favorite day in Innsbruck!

Sunset on the hike!

Yodeling!

A guy from Spain picked me to be his partner for the Austrian wedding dance! We had to spin around and run across the room!

With our lanterns on the way down!

Yesterday and today have entailed schoolwork, so I've been trying to find school supplies around Innsbruck, but it's tough when everything closes by 6!

Friday, I am going to the Neuschwanstein Castle, which is in Füssen, Germany. It is where Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was filmed and was also Walt Disney's inspiration for the Cinderella castle! Then, that night we are going to Zurich for the rest of the weekend! I plan on doing nothing but shopping, eating chocolate, and going to the lake for my last weekend! It will hopefully be relaxing because I am tired of traveling and planning hotels and making train reservations! I will be home in only 9 days!

5 comments:

Uncle Chris said...

Wow, what fun!!

Two questions:
1. You're not married to the Spanish guy, right?

2. You found those leiderhosen yet?

Sarah said...

Luckily, I am not married to him! His girlfriend took pictures of us when we were dancing. The rule was that they had to pick a girl from another country.

Well, they have leiderhosen aprons, so maybe I should get him that! Would you be interested in one? Ya'll could have matching ones for Christmas pictuers! And I'll get old Brucey a Bavarian dress!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the blog. Love the photos. Love the revolving photos. Even enjoy reading "uncle chris" very wise (cracks) comments.

Dad

blueberrycobbler said...

I think you should hit Ireland and show them your skills on the dance floor.

Uncle Chris said...

I think "old" Uncle Bruce already has a Bavarian dress. If I'm not mistaken, it's pink with light blue roses.

He only wears it on "special" occassions...