Monday, July 30, 2007

Salzburg

The hills were really alive with me in Salzburg when I yodeled at the top of the mountain! Haha!
Friday was very nice and relaxing at the park. I felt like I was really a city European reading on a bench in a park as old men played chess on the giant chess pieces!

Saturday, I met Jackie in Salzburg. We went straight to the four hour long Sound of Music tour! It was great. We saw where they got married, the lake the kids fall into, the houses used, the gazebo! They played the music on the bus, and I definitely sang along the whole time! The tour was great, but being the Sound of Music junkie that I am, I didn't really learn any new trivia. We walked around the Mirabell gardens where the do-re-mi scenes were filmed afterwards and got some great pictures! For dinner, we went to a beer garden place so Jackie could see the typical Austrian dinner. We met some funny Swedish boys there who asked if I was studying skiing in Innsbruck! Turns out, it is the start of the Salzburg festival, so tons of people dressed in the authentic dresses and lederhosen. They rode around a statue in the city on horses cracking whips! Too bad we had no idea what they were saying because everything was in German!

Sunday, we got an early start. We went to mass, and the music there was incredible! Leave it to Salzburg for music! It made the mass an hour and a half, but it was really neat. In Venice, there were not many people at church and they all walked in late, but here, we had to stand it was so full. But then again, we were the few people there in our age group! Then we went to Mozart's birthplace, the famous Hohensalzburg castle, the abbey, and Mozart's other house. The best part was that we received audio guides in English along with our tours, so I actually felt like I was learning! (Mama, don't be so surprised!)

Last night, I gave Jackie a small tour of the city so she can get around while I am in class. I am so glad she is here because now I can do all of the tourist attractions in Innsbruck, plus we have lots of fun together!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I saw the Harry Potter movie last week, and I also finished the seventh book on the train! Yahoo!

Jackie and I imitating, "Stop. Don't stop!"

Who knew the headquarters of Red Bull are right outside of Salzburg? No wonder they drink it like Coke here!

Beautiful lake that is so clean you can drink out of it! Too bad the picture isn't great because it was starting to rain.

Church where Maria and the Captain were married

Salzburg's finest apple streudel with ice cream and hot vanilla sauce! Only 10 calories!

In Mirabell Gardens, singing Do-Re-Mi!

The garden was gorgeous filled with colorful flowers! (Note to Hale girls, they were begonias!)

Can you tell that we really like the Sound of Music? I'm not even adding every picture! We also took pictures at the abbey, the bridge, the Untersberg Mountain, and the ivy tunnel!

Mozart's birthplace

Salzburg at night! The castle is up on the hill and there are markets all along the river.

Part of the festival

View of Salzburg from the castle

This is the executioner's house- notice it's location. At least they have lush green grass!

Mozart's house later in life. This one was a better museum!

3 comments:

Uncle Chris said...

In case you don't have a gift for your dad or brother, I'm thinking lederhosen would be really appreciated. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

You and Jackie are such dorks imitating the Sound of Music!

Amanda said...

sound of music...one of the best movies...ever.