Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I'm here!

So I just finished typing a post that took me forever because the keyboard is different, and then I accidentally closed out of it! Here we go again!

I made it over the ocean! The flight was not too terrible but we did taxi in Atlanta for an hour without any air conditioning! Once we flew in, we took a bus from Munich to Innsbruck, which was a little over two hours. Then, I met my roommate, who is a sophomore from UGA. She doesn't know anyone on the trip either, so we have been hanging out a lot. Last night we walked all through Old Town Innsbruck, which is really neat with a bunch of little shops and tiny streets. I thought cars would be too big to drive on them, but then I saw a mean taxi driver barging through!

Tonight is the opening ceremonies for the program. We have to dress up and go the the Innsbruck Congress Center. Classes start tomorrow, so today we went on a tour of the University. We also met some students from the University of New Orleans, who I think we will be hanging out with a lot! We went with them today and walked across the whole town to the mall to buy a fan.

At first, driving from Munich seemed just like America. It's the small things that make it different- like for instance the lady next to me at the computer lab brought her dog in with her and having no idea what you are ordering at restaurants! Everyone bikes here, so hopefully I can go rent a bike one day! The best part about everything is that when we walk out of our dorms and cross the river to go to class or basically anywhere else, we see the main view of Innsbruck (the one that is the header of my blog)!

I'm off to get ready for the ceremony! Maybe soon I'll see if I can load my pictures to this German computer, so ya'll can see my room and such! Missing all of you!

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Wilkomen,

Look for city bike bike rentals - thay have them hear in Vienna, you get the bike for an hour for free and it's one euro for the second hour. I used it to commute from our apartment to Stephansplatz. Vienna has 54 stations.

Speaking of public transportation, I highly recommend all four types: train, trolley, underground, and bikes where available. Get a viesel train, it's really comfortable.

You can see my photos on facebook or flickr - I'm sure you'll get more.http://www.flickr.com/photos/9333994@N06/

Along with the timezone, I also saw your page all in German, and thought you might have changed the language - but then I realized I was still in Austria.

Stephen

blueberrycobbler said...

i want to see pictures! i miss you oddles.

i'm glad you made it there safely - anymore trouble, you know who to call. (me) i'll sue them for you.

love and miss you kiddo. have fun! big sis

Amanda said...

Just wanted you to know how much I love you and how very proud I am of you for doing this. I am really really happy that you are there Sarah and that you will see and learn so much. I know you'll take full advantage of it all.
If all else fails just go to the gracery and buy some bread and nutella! yum!
I know what you mean about the keyboard thing...the first time I tried to write an email here it took my 20 minutes to find the @ sign.

Anonymous said...

Sarah!! How cool is your blog!! Have an amazing time celebrating the 4th of July in a foriegn country tommorrow!!

Kallie

Uncle Chris said...

Maybe you'll get lucky and find a place that serves Chicken Fried Steak and Lone Star Beer.

Now that's good eatin'!

Love,
Uncle Chris