Monday, July 9, 2007

Munich

Friday night, most of the program left for Munich, but some of us stayed to meet Austrian students since our TAs organized it. We met them at a restaurant that is kind of like the Sundial but not as big or expensive. It is a glass building that stands tall, so we could see all of Innsbruck! Afterwards, there were two free outdoor concerts in Innsbruck, so we went to those! It was fairly easy to commuicate with the students as with everyone here. Most young people speak English, and they want to practice it with us. Their English is definitely better than our German!

Saturday morning, I rode on the bus with my class to Munich. We went to an art museum, the Alte Pinakothek. It was really neat to see such famous paintings that used to hang in old German churches. My three girl friends and I put our stuff up at the hostel and then went on Mike's Bike Tour all around Munich. If you are ever in Munich, I highly reccommend this! It was a four hour tour and we stopped at the Chinese Towers Beer Garden for a while. That was really fun because they broadcasted the global warming concert from Sydney on a big screen. The food was incredible! While everyone else drank huge beers, I had amazing bratwurst, potatoes, and a coke! (Amanda, you would hav loved it!) That night we went to a classy techno club. It was really fun to see a bunch of Germans dance all night to techno, and we of course joined in!

The hostel was definitely not the Marriott, but it was definitely worth it to save money! We had to share the room with three other people. On Sunday, we walked all around Munich. I saw the Hofbrauhaus and my favorite thing was the English Garden. It is a HUGE park in Munich that has a stream going through it. I loved going around and walking into every church I saw. They are all gorgeous! Right as it started to rain, we got on the metro and made it to the train station. The two hour train ride home was nice and relaxing- much better than a car because you can walk around and read without getting sick! (We'll see if I still feel like this after long overnight trips!)

Munich was such a great trip! It was comforting to know that I could get around a foreign city successfully with having to find the metro and buildings! I was homesick before, but now that I am really busy, it is definitely better!

P.S. Thank ya'll for all the comments! It is so nice to hear from everyone!

No comments: